Zyban which contain Bupropion belongs to the family of medications known as antidepressants. It is used as an aid for quitting smoking. It works by affecting the balance of chemicals that occur naturally in the brain.
- Zyban does not contain nicotine.
- The side effects are usually few and mild.
- It alleviates withdrawal symptoms and cravings to smoke.
- It is easy to use.
- It is a safe alternative to NRT’s.
- You do not have to safely dispose of the medication after use.
- It is discreet.
- Studies show it to be a successful method of giving up smoking.
- are allergic to bupropion or to any of the ingredients of this medication
- are currently taking thioridazine (an antipsychotic medication) or have taken it in the past 2 weeks
- are having abrupt withdrawal issues from alcohol, benzodiazepines (e.g., diazepam, clonazepam, lorazepam), or other sedatives (e.g., phenobarbital)
- are taking another medication that contains bupropion (e.g., Wellbutrin XL or WellbutrinSR)
- have a seizure disorder
- have or have had an eating disorder (bulimia or anorexia nervosa)
- have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAO inhibitor; e.g., phenelzine, tranylcypromine) within the past 2 weeks
- The recommended dose as an aid for smoking cessation is 150 mg daily for 3 days, followed by 150 mg twice daily. You should start taking bupropion at least one week before stopping smoking.
- Multiple daily doses should be taken at least 8 hours apart. It is very important that bupropion tablets be swallowed whole and not chewed, broken, or crushed.
The side effects are usually mild and disappear after a few weeks with continuous use.
- Other common side effects that have been reported are stomach pains, vivid dreams, changes in bowel movement, muscle and joint pain, coughing, lack of concentration, itchiness, sore throat and nausea.
- If you take too much bupropion and overdose, you will notice symptoms such as confusion, hallucinations, dizziness, blurred vision or you may suffer a seizure.
- With any prolonged side effects that are uncomfortable, you should stop taking Zyban immediately and consult your doctor.
Store at room temperature. Protect from heat, light and moisture. Keep away from reach of children.